My Dog has been Poisoned: How can I Help?

Taming the Leash Pulling Dog

Taming the Leash Pulling Dog

Research carried out by various vets shows that most dog emergencies are brought about by poisoning. There are various kinds of poisoning that include contact, ingestion and inhalation. Most cases are reported during festive seasons such as Christmas and Easter holidays.

The incidences happen when dogs are made to indulge in delicacies such as chocolate, and other snacks that contain currants and raisins as active ingredients. Dogs can also get poisoned when they ingest antifreeze chemical. Here are some tips that should guide you when your dog has been poisoned.

Observe the Symptoms

The symptoms of poisoning vary depending on whether the substance was inhaled, ingested or came into contact with the skin. If the poison was inhaled, the obvious signs include coughing, drooling, difficulty in breathing and unconsciousness.

If your dog shows signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, staggering, disorientation, convulsions, lethargy, loss of appetite, twitching, dilated pupils, ulcers, heart palpitations, and coma, the poison might have been swallowed orally.

On the other hand, poisoning that is caused by coming into contact with dangerous plants and a chemical is manifested through discomfort, agitation, excessive scratching or licking and swellings. In some cases, the skin might turn to pale red. You should take the following steps to help in saving the life of your dog:

  • Call the Vet: You should call the nearest vet as soon as possible even if the signs don’t seem to be severe. Some poisons might take a while before their effects can be seen. If you happened to see the dog taking the poison, you should write the name of the substance on a paper. The details of the poison should then be handed over to the vet when he arrives at the scene.
  • Carry the dog to a safe area: If poisoning was caused by inhaling toxic substance or gases, you should wear protective gear such as gas mask and gloves before attempting to rescue the canine. This is because you too can get poisoned if you inhale the gas. You should carry the dog to a well ventilated area and if possible take it outside the house to get fresh air.
  • Don’t use water: If the poison is on the dog’s skin, you can be tempted to wash it with water or any other solvent. You should never try this without consulting the vet. This is because water might cause the substance to spread on the dog’s skin which will result in more harm.
  • Don’t force dog to vomit: Even if you are double sure that the dog swallowed the poison, you should never try to force it to vomit. This is because vomiting might cause further damages to the throat. You should remain calm and wait for the vet to arrive. If the vet recommends washing the dog to remove the poison on the skin, you should use soap and lukewarm water. Cold water is dangerous because it can cause body temperature to fall drastically.

About the Author

Gerald Nduru

Gerald Nduru is a renowned online content producer. The father of one likes everything about dogs. He is currently a top rated writer at Upwork.com. Gerald has helped many enterprises increase their visibility on the internet. He is also actively engaged in swing trading. He likes watching documentaries and watching movies.

Author Archive Page

Post a Comment

for Barks sake Please spread the word :)