Puppies Get Singed And Escape Fire
Nine puppies, three adult dogs and four residents of a home near White City are all OK following an early-morning fire Tuesday that caused heavy damage to a garage, fire officials said.
Some of the rescued puppies were “singed” by the fire and will require some medical attention but are fine overall, said Jackson County Fire District 3 public information officer Ashley Lara. A video posted on District 3’s Facebook page showed the animals playing with each other as their mom kept watch in a temporary pen at the fire station.
“They are all in good spirits, including mama,” said a message Lara posted with the video.
Five of the animals were taken to Best Friends Animal Hospital in Talent for treatment.
“The other four puppies are with their mother and will be held there. They’re only about four weeks, so they’ll be with their mom for probably the next month at least,” Lara said.
Firefighters responded to the house in the 2000 block of Randall Avenue at about 1:40 a.m., according to emergency dispatch logs. The four residents reportedly heard a loud bang. When they went outside to investigate, they saw their attached garage on fire.
District 3 Deputy Fire Marshal Mark Northrop said the fire was accidental and caused by an electrical malfunction. The bang the residents heard was from a pressure tank used for well water that exploded.
District 3 and Medford Fire-Rescue responded with four engines and a water tender. Crews knocked down the flames just before 2 a.m. The fire had started to burn through the door connecting the garage to the kitchen area.
“That’s right where the puppies were,” Northrop said. Firefighters rushed inside the home to rescue the puppies and adult dogs, Lara said.
The garage sustained significant fire damage. It wasn’t known whether vehicles were inside when the blaze broke out. The garage door was reportedly open when the home’s occupants heard the explosion.
Fwd By Jen Rice